WBH offers rental units at 10 to 20 percent below market rates for the people of Fort McMurray, as well as the rural hamlets of Conklin, Janvier, Anzac and Fort Chipewyan. If you are interested in applying for affordable housing, please fill out the inquiry form here: https://wbhousing.ca/ or call 780-799-4050. Here is a downloadable PDF of our Affordable Housing Application: Affordable Housing Application.
As a provincially designated Housing Management Body, WBH manages all social housing in Wood Buffalo on behalf of the Government of Alberta. Social housing is provided to qualifying individuals at rates tied to income, which ensures housing costs do not deplete earnings. WBH also provides support services to help social housing clients reduce their reliance upon social assistance through substance abuse programs, job skills training, and other means that address impediments to independence. Social housing is available in Fort McMurray and Fort Chipewyan. Please call 780-799-4050 for more information on how to apply. Here is a downloadable PDF of our Social Housing Application: Subsidized Housing Application.
In 2002, Wood Buffalo Housing (WBH) assumed responsibility from the Government of Alberta for all subsidized independent and supportive living seniors’ housing. Ownership of Rotary House Lodge and Ayabaskaw Lodge, which provides a supportive living environment to qualifying seniors, was transferred to WBH. When Ayabaskaw Lodge was transferred it was non-operational. WBH also became responsible to operate Legion Manor, Araubasca House and Ayabaskaw Home, three independent living apartment complexes exclusively for seniors. The rent for seniors is calculated at 30% of the applicant(s) gross income or line 150 of their Notice of Assessment.
In Fort McMurray, WBH has the following options for seniors housing:
- Rotary House Lodge – independent living with some supports (bathing, dressing, and medical reminders) provided by home care if the resident is a home care client. Rotary House also provides meals, snacks, weekly light housekeeping and in-house recreation as part of the residents $515.00 (per person) monthly service fee. Personal laundry service is available if the resident would like and that fee is $40.00. This is funded through municipal requisitions.
- Legion Manor & Araubasca House – these 30 self-contained units are individual, one-bedroom apartments. These are deficit-funded by the Provincial Government.
In our rural communities, we have:
- Woodsmoke Elders Lodge – this lodge is located in Anzac, and consists of four one-bedroom mobile homes. Two of these homes are actually down right now due to significant maintenance and repair issues. The Province hired a company to assess the damage and, after much consultation, they have determined that they will refurbish and repair the trailers instead of replacing them. We are hoping to have dates soon for the work that needs to be done.
- Ayabaskaw Lodge and Ayabaskaw Home – these are located in Fort Chipewyan and exist within different wings of the same building; The Ayabaskaw Lodge wing and the Ayabaskaw Home wing.
- Ayabaskaw Home – these 10 self-contained units are individual, one-bedroom apartments. They are deficit-funded by the Provincial Government, and all are currently occupied.
- Ayabaskaw Lodge – these 12 units are non-operational. Funding received through municipal requisitions is used to assist with the maintenance costs of the whole property, but not for service provision. This site is non-operational since WBH was unable to secure a partnership to provide Lodge-type services. We have issued an Expression of Interest to seek a partnership with a community group to provide services which will benefit the community.
Here is a downloadable PDF of our senior housing application: Seniors Housing Application Form.
Home Ownership Program
Since 2004, Wood Buffalo Housing has helped more than 300 families, couples and individuals realize their dream of home ownership in Fort McMurray through its Home Ownership Program.
To apply you must:
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada;
- have a household income not exceeding $145,000/year;
- be able to qualify for a 1st mortgage with a lender;
- be a first-time homeowner in Fort McMurray;
- not already participate in another home ownership program.
Our program could provide up to 20% in a second loan. Currently we have homes in the Timberlea and Prairie Creek areas. If you or someone you know is interested in viewing and/or purchasing one of these properties, please call 780-799-4038 or 780-799-4050.
Here is a link to the application: Home Ownership Program Application.
Support for the Social Profit Sector
WBH also supports other social profit agencies in Wood Buffalo. We own and operate the Fort McMurray Food Bank building on a cost-recovery basis, and we donated the land and provided strategic advice and counsel to Waypoints (formerly the Fort McMurray Family Crisis Society) that enabled it to build a new shelter for women and children victims of domestic violence. Since 2001, WBH has helped over 7,000 individuals, families and seniors of low to middle incomes find affordable housing that is appropriate to their personal financial circumstances.