WBH offers rental units at 10 to 20 percent below market rates for the people of Fort McMurray, as well as the rural hamlets of Conklin, Janvier, Anzac and Fort Chipewyan. If you are interested in applying for affordable housing, please fill out the inquiry form here: https://wbhousing.ca/ or call 780-799-4050. Here is a downloadable PDF of our Affordable Housing Application: Affordable Housing Application.
As a provincially designated Housing Management Body, WBH manages all social housing in Wood Buffalo on behalf of the Government of Alberta. Social housing is provided to qualifying individuals at rates tied to income, which ensures housing costs do not deplete earnings. WBH also provides support services to help social housing clients reduce their reliance upon social assistance through substance abuse programs, job skills training, and other means that address impediments to independence. Social housing is available in Fort McMurray and Fort Chipewyan. Please call 780-799-4050 for more information on how to apply. Here is a downloadable PDF of our Social Housing Application: Social Housing Application.
In 2002, WBH assumed responsibility from the Government of Alberta for all subsidized independent and supportive living seniors’ housing. Ownership of Rotary House Lodge, which provides a supportive living environment to qualifying seniors, was transferred to WBH. WBH also became responsible to operate Legion Manor and Araubasca House, two independent living apartment complexes exclusively for seniors, and Ayabaskaw House and Lodge in Fort Chipewyan.
So, in Fort McMurray, WBH has the following options for seniors housing:
1) Rotary House Lodge – independent living with some supports (bathing, dressing, and medical reminders) provided by home care if the resident is a home care client. Rotary House also provides meals, snacks, weekly light housekeeping and in-house recreation as part of the residents $515.00 (per person) monthly service fee. Personal laundry service is available if the resident would like and that fee is $40.00.
2) Legion Manor & Araubasca House – these self-contained units are individual, one-bedroom apartments where the seniors may still receive home care if they are a home care client. Wood Buffalo Housing does not provide home care services.
3) Woodsmoke Elders Lodge – this lodge is located in Anzac, Alberta and consists of four one-bedroom mobile homes.
The rent for seniors is calculated at 30% of the applicant(s) gross income or line 150 of their Notice of Assessment.
Here is a downloadable PDF of our senior housing application: Seniors Housing Application.
Homeless Shelter and Transitional Housing
Since 2006, WBH has provided housing to Fort McMurray’s most vulnerable citizens. Marshall House Emergency Shelter includes a 100-bed capacity homeless shelter and 29 transitional housing units that are provided to the homeless based upon the Housing First model. It is a clean and safe environment, with security on site, for adults over the age of 18.
Location: 10095 Marshall Street, Fort McMurray, AB
Hours of Operation: 5:00 p.m. to 8:30 a.m., 7 days a week
Marshall House provides the basic necessities to our homeless population:
- hot meals from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- cable TV from 5:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- hot showers from 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- continental breakfast from 6:00 a.m. to 8:20 a.m.
- emergency clothing & toiletries can be provided if needed.
Home Ownership Program
Since 2004, Wood Buffalo Housing has helped more than 300 families, couples and individuals realize their dream of home ownership in Fort McMurray through its Home Ownership Program.
To apply you must:
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada;
- have a household income not exceeding $145,000/year;
- be able to qualify for a 1st mortgage with a lender;
- be a first-time homeowner in Fort McMurray;
- not already participate in another home ownership program.
Our program could provide up to 20% in a second loan. Currently we have homes in the Timberlea and Prairie Creek areas. If you or someone you know is interested in viewing and/or purchasing one of these properties, please call 780-799-4038 or 780-799-4050.
Support for the Social Profit Sector
WBH also supports other social profit agencies in Wood Buffalo. We own and operate the Fort McMurray Food Bank building on a cost-recovery basis, and we donated the land and provided strategic advice and counsel to Waypoints (formerly the Fort McMurray Family Crisis Society) that enabled it to build a new shelter for women and children victims of domestic violence. Since 2001, WBH has helped over 7,000 individuals, families and seniors of low to middle incomes find affordable housing that is appropriate to their personal financial circumstances.