APARTMENT FIRE SAFETY
Fire Alarm System
Apartments – Your unit has a professionally installed strobe and bell designed for the fire alarm system.
Should this alarm go off, you may silence it, but the light will continue to flash. If there is not a fire in your unit and you cannot determine why the system is alerting you, contact the Administration Office. This system is not to be tampered with under any circumstances and is not to be used to hang pictures etc. The strobe and bell were installed for your safety and we ask that you treat it with care and respect.
You also have a smoke detector in your unit. The smoke detector is there to warn you. It will automatically
sound the main fire alarm and the Fire Department will respond. You must be prepared to act on your own to protect yourself. Fire drills are performed every six months.
Smoke Detectors – Your unit is equipped with a smoke detector, which is designed to give you warning of a fire or smoke build up. When the alarm sounds, it will continue until the situation ceases. It will automatically sound the main fire alarm and the Fire Department will respond. You must be prepared to act on your own to protect yourself. Fire drills are performed every six months. The Smoke Detector MUST NOT be tampered with.
Reasons your Smoke Detector may alarm
▪ mechanical failure in the smoke detector;
▪ excessive smoke caused by several people smoking in your unit;
▪ food burned by a kitchen range, toaster or other electrical appliance;
▪ tampering with the unit or accidentally hitting it;
▪ inadequate maintenance/cleaning of the unit;
▪ other abnormal conditions.
Action to be taken if the Alarm sounds:
▪ Immediately check to see if there is a fire in your unit. If so, evacuate everyone immediately. CLOSE YOUR UNIT DOOR BEHIND YOU!
▪ If you decide to go to the balcony, get a wet towel beforehand and place it on the floor under the balcony
door. The Fire Department will get you from the balcony.
▪ Call the Fire Department immediately by calling 9-1-1.
▪ If there is no fire, try to determine the cause of the alarm.
▪ To silence the alarm, open a window and the front door to clear the air. The alarm should then reset
▪ If Awoken from a Sleep evacuate everyone from your dwelling immediately. DO NOT WAIT. GET
OUT. Once out, close the door behind you and call the fire department immediately. DO NOT
TAKE ANY CHANCES.
▪ A fire evacuation route has been given to you.