9915 Franklin Ave.
Mon - Fri: 8:30 - 4:00
Closed daily for lunch 12-12:30pm

Rent Supplement Program

WBH also manages the Rent Supplement Program on behalf of the province. There are two benefits people can apply for under this program:

Applicants for the RAB and TRAB do not have to be tenants with WBH. The subsidy can be used on any rental in the region.

Are you eligible?

1. Income Limits

Your Total Household income must be below the Household Income Thresholds limits for specific unit sizes. Proof of Income is required.

2. Citizenship and Immigration Status

Acceptable statuses are:

  • Canadian citizens
  • Permanent Resident
  • Refugees sponsored by the Government of Canada, or individuals who have applied for refugee or immigration status and for whom private sponsorship has broken down

3. Asset Limits

Total household assets must be less than $25,000. Assets may include, but are not limited to:

  • Bank Accounts
  • Equity in Property (First vehicle is exempt)
  • Equity in Vehicles


Am I eligible for the Temporary Rent Assistance Benefit?

  • Your household may be eligible if you are employed or have been recently unemployed in the last 24 months and are not receiving social assistance, including: Income Support, Learner Income Support, Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped, Alberta Seniors Benefit, Guaranteed Income
    Supplement, or Old Age Security.

Why has a two-year limit been placed on the new benefit, and what happens at the end of the second year?

  • The new Temporary Rent Assistance Benefit is intentionally structured to encourage recipients to participate in the workforce, plan for their future, and eventually exit from supports.
  • At the end of the second year, households can reapply for the Temporary Rent Assistance Benefit, or apply for the Rent Assistance Benefit or other housing supports if eligible.

I am on a waitlist for a community housing unit. Can I take advantage of the new benefit?

  • If you meet the criteria, you can apply for the new Temporary Rent Assistance Benefit.

I am moving from my current residence to somewhere different. How does that affect my Temporary Rent Assistance benefit?

  • The benefit is portable with the household if the residence change is within the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo. A household will have their TRAB discontinued if it moves outside the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo. We will require the household to notify the of any change of residence.

How do I report changes to my situation?

  • Please contact our office at 780-799-4050 to ensure that your file is current.

How often should I be checking in on the status of my application?

  • In order for your file to remain active on our waitlist, you must follow up with WBH a minimum of once every three months from last point of contact or the application can be at risk of cancellation. If your application is next in line based on eligibility date, we will be in contact with you via the information provided on the application.